Ceramic plate in six (6) fragments with black floral design and trademark " 'Athena' W H Grindley & Co. Eng. Rd. No. 149525 "
This artefact was discovered in an archaeological investigation in 1989. The site, at the corner of Smith and George Streets in Parramatta, was the location of two convict huts from 1790 and then of the Babes in the Woods Hotel from about 1810 to the 1880s. The hotel was demolished and replaced by a two-storey house which remained until the 1960s.