Object Detail


Brief description
Brass publican's gill measure used in the early Parramatta inn "Babes in the Wood".

This artefact was discovered in an archaeological investigation in 1989. The site, at the corner of Smith and George Streets in Parramatta, was the location of two convict huts from 1790 and then of the Babes in the Woods Hotel from about 1810 to the 1880s. The hotel was demolished and replaced by a two-storey house which remained until the 1960s.
Media/Materials
Brass
Measurements
Height 5.7cm (2.25")
Base diameter 5.0cm (2")
'S' shaped handle 4.5cm (1 3/4")
Production place
Credit line
Parramatta City Council Cultural Collection - Archaeology
Subject category
Accession date
22 Jun 2012
Object number
ARC2012.6.1.BIW

Colours


Object type


Share