Group of nurses
This photo is held by the Mitchell Library and shows a group of nurses from the Hospital for the Insane, Parramatta. It shows them in recognisable nurses’ uniforms and dates to the early 1890s. The training of “attendants on the insane” to nurses had begun in NSW in 1883 at Gladesville. By the early 1890s, all of the Hospitals for the Insane had begun training programmes based on the Nightingale model. This represented the professionalisation of carers of the mentally ill, from being merely “keepers” to formally trained nurses.